Tuesday, January 29, 2008

yikes!


Matt and I are always playing "what it." I think it's something that everyone does when they get bored enough. And the answer to the question "What if Matt loses his job?" has always been "We can handle it somehow."

Now it's time to find out if we planned things as well as we thought. Matt found out yesterday that he won't have a job after Feb. 19. Apparently the subprime mortgage something did blah blah to the student loan industry, and they have to stop consolidating loans. (Matt tried to explain it to me like three or four times. Hello, science major here?) So his department is basically being eliminated.

Now, the timing is less than stellar. See, our contingency plan has always been that I would work if Matt was temporarily unemployed. I mean, I do have that chemistry degree that I've been basically sitting on for the last 5 years. But I'm also kind of having a baby very soon. Matt should be getting enough severance from his company to cover us for the next couple months and then if he's not working I can get a job after Cutie Pie is born and Matt can deal with the kids instead. (That actually sounds kind of tempting, doesn't it? Matt insists that going to work every day isn't all that great but when was the last time he's had to change one of his co-worker's diapers?) Also, we have to figure out the insurance thing because again, baby coming out of me very soon.

On the other hand, Matt's actually had some good leads for a job. The last time he was job hunting the opportunities were few and far between but it seems like right now, everybody and their grandma needs a call center manager. (Except for the student loan industry, of course. The bigger companies have already had massive layoffs so I guess we've been lucky so far.) So, we are praying right now that Matt finds another job soon. And in the meantime, hey, he gets to spend more time with the kids!

6 witty remarks on "yikes!"

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, "yikes" indeed.
Can you get a good temp job
During your eighth month?

I'll be praying for you. I hope things work out.

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! Sorry to hear that. The good news is you have some advance warning. I'm sure Matt will find something and you do have that chem degree and probably a bunch of friends who do childcare.

Lousy credit crunch.
Everything will work out fine.
COBRA is your friend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Matt...that really sucks. I'll pray for him that everything works out for you guys. If you need anything, let me know!





scxwrks: how Joni swears

Anonymous said...

Prayers for a new job from here! I'm sure Matt will find something fast.

Unknown on 10:47 AM said...

Yikes.
That is crummy.
I will keep you in my prayers.
I hope something comes up soon for him.

wei ying on 6:07 PM said...

Great poost

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez