Friday, October 13, 2006

It's official: I'm hooked.


I'm beginning to understand why Mom likes sewing so much.


Bolstered by what could conceivably be termed successes with the Crooked Curtains and the Hammer Pants, I got this brilliant idea that my little machine and I could make a doll dress for Betsy's birthday. I picked up the fabric last weekend - on the theory that it would take me weeks to finish the darn thing - a sweet vintage-style fabric to go with Simplicity 4707, a pattern of vintage baby doll clothes.

Much to my surprise, I actually got it done. All it took was 3 afternoons of neglecting the kids, I mean letting them entertain themselves, while I sewed. I ended up hand-sewing the rickrack, due to my terminal inability to sew in a straight line, which didn't take as long as you'd think (although it would have gone faster if I hadn't been simultaneously watching NCIS videos on YouTube). The collar was supposed to have rickrack along the bottom edge, positioned such that only the points are visible, an idea that I discarded after having a good hearty laugh about it. I still want to put some sort of embellishment on the collar, if for no other reason than to obscure the fact that one side is quite a bit pointier than the other. (And yes, I know that it's a Peter Pan collar and they're not supposed to be pointy at all. Shut up.)

I also made a little pair of panties for underneath - remind me next time, leave the casings for elastic a bit bigger - and made significant inroads into the little red coat I optimistically also thought I was skilled enough to make. Actually, the coat should be easier - no gathers - if all that bias tape doesn't slay me dead in my tracks.

The really hard part is going to be putting it away and saving it for the Bets' birthday, which is two months away.

Speaking of which... Happy Friday the 13th! I know a lot of people consider it bad luck, but I never could... I became a mama on a Friday the 13th!

7 witty remarks on "It's official: I'm hooked."

Anonymous said...

Joni, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I really love vintage anything, and the colors and style of that dress are adorable. You did a great job on it....keep up the good work!!!!!!

Sue on 9:50 AM said...

How cute is that?? I'm so impressed - you go girl :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That is totally bee-you-tee-full! What a creative chick you are!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing! Who knew you had such talent? But more importantly, there's NCIS on YouTube??? Why didn't anyone tell me? You are the best cousin ever (well, at least for no.)

Anonymous said...

It's amazing! Who knew you had such talent? But more importantly, there's NCIS on YouTube??? Why didn't anyone tell me? You are the best cousin ever (well, at least for now.)

Joni on 12:37 AM said...

Beka!!! (waving madly) Hi, girl! I do hope you've recovered from the plague or whatever it was that you had... And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's been watching NCIS!

Unknown on 4:50 PM said...

Way to go on the sewing!!! That would be a fun thing to try.

It all sounds like a foreign language the 'bias' and 'casing' I'm lost, but good job!

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez