Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mothers: they have to push the pram a lot.


First off, yes, we did go and see Spamalot on Saturday, with my brother Mike and his pregnant wife Mandy. So, it was the three of us hardcore Python fans, plus Matt, who has seen the movie but maybe doesn't necessarily feel the need to quote it. And even he enjoyed the show, which should tell you something. One thing the actors do is throw out a local culture reference - "You will be as revered in {city} as {thing this city is famous for}." Now, this being Indianapolis it was Peyton Manning, which was not surprising but did get a huge reaction out of the audience (what with winning the Super Bowl and everything this year). Anyway, I found out that when they played Rochester the weekend before, the reference was to Dinosaur barbecue. And I know first-hand how tasty that stuff is, since we had it for Emily's rehearsal dinner. So, it's nice to know that the actors are putting forth an effort. Also, the program was hilarious - in the vein of the original movie, Michael Palin wrote a set of fake moose-related credits. We decided to make a day of it and had dinner at the same Greek restaurant downtown where Matt took me the night he didn't propose to me. It was really good, and Mike had a beer named after my son (it may have been the other way around).

Also, Sunday was a little holiday known as Mother's Day. I got to take a nap, had chocolate in church (which is way better than flowers if you ask me), and talked to my mother and mother-in-law. Matt grilled steaks for dinner, and we had strawberries and pound cake for dessert. This is my Mother's Day gift from Matt:


Yes, so technically he gave me a Michaels giftcard and I did the shopping myself. It does tend to work out better that way. I've been eyeing some of the new Martha Stewart stuff but was reluctant to buy it - that no-coupon thing is a real bummer - so the giftcard was a perfect excuse. A lot of the Martha stuff is too clean and simple for my taste, but those acrylic letter stamps could actually work quite well on a funky, doodley page - I'm thinking Sassafrass Lass or Scenic Route - and the word bubble stickers are just plain fun. I think it's all in how you use it.

This was my gift from the kids:

Like a macaroni necklace, only for your feet. Don't you just love the pictures of the kids where my big toes will go? I haven't worn them yet; I want to apply a couple coats of Mod Podge first to keep everything from falling off.

And speaking of mothers, here's (finally) a picture of the mother-daughter aprons I sewed a couple of weeks ago. Betsy and I wear them whenever we make cookies together, which is at least once a week.

They were supposed to have pockets, but I lazied out and skipped them... maybe I will add the pockets later. Also, mine ended up being way too long in the torso (I'm 5'7" and I sewed a small! Dang, patterns do run large) but that should be easy enough to fix, just as soon as I get my sewing machine out again.

Anyway, my friends Beth and Susan tagged me on their blog... but I think this post has been massive enough (congratulations on making it this far) so that will have to wait until next time.

3 witty remarks on "Mothers: they have to push the pram a lot."

Anonymous said...

Love the aprons and ermmm mac um flip flops!

Glad you had a nice day dear!

CyndiAKADisneyqueen on 11:27 PM said...

Oh I love your mother and daughter aprons. Reminds me of cooking with my girls last week. We all had aprons on. I forgot to take a pic though.

Anonymous said...

I luv the aprons! I love it even better seeing Porter in the background looking to see what is behind door number one!

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez