Friday, June 20, 2008

It's almost here


I start my new job on Monday. Monday! I feel like I should be nervous, but I'm not, just excited. Okay, and stressed out about the child care arrangements but it seems to be working out okay. I found a place I like that's near my work and reasonably priced - although I think I'm going to have to switch to a different provider once school starts, so that Betsy can be transported to and from kindergarten.

When I called up on Monday to accept the job, I had one other curveball thrown at me: one of their lab technicians had quit, and he had been working four 10-hour days, so his hours were available to me if I wanted them. That was an easy decision to make. It won't actually save me any money on child care (a little on gas) but I won't have to work on Fridays. At all. That's right, I'll have a 3-day weekend (and you know how much everyone likes those) every single week. I'm really excited about that because it means I will still have one day to be a stay-at-home mom so I can catch up on chores, work on my hobbies, and do fun stuf with the kids. In fact, we went down to the zoo yesterday and finally renewed our membership (we've let all our memberships lapse since everything has been so up-in-the-air lately) so we will have something fun to do when I'm off work.

I've also been pumping like crazy so that I will have a good store of frozen milk (and in the immortal words of Dilbert, "Man, am I thirsty!") I've been experimenting with different types of bottles with Amy and bless her tiny heart, she really doesn't seem to have a preference. She'll go between Mom juice in its original packaging, Mom juice in an Avent bottle, and formula (useful for backup) in an Evenflo bottle with nary a second thought. Although the bottle I'm trying to give her right now is very slow going because she keeps smiling at me. Keep your eye on the ball, baby.

I went to Goodwill on Saturday - it was half price day - to stock up on my professional wardrobe. (That's one of the best things about being a chemist - no one expects you to look good.) I got two pairs of jeans and three shirts for me, plus three shirts for Betsy and an old hardcover copy of Rebecca, all for $15. One other thing I've been meaning to do is get my hair cut short, since I will be getting up at basically the crack of dawn (I thought those days were over when I finished seminary!) to be at work at 6 a.m. and the last thing I want to deal with is styling my hair. Not that I do anyway.

So. I'm just days away from the most major change in my life since I had Betsy... wish me luck!

6 witty remarks on "It's almost here"

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world
Of industrial QC.
Good luck and have fun.

Unknown on 3:17 PM said...

Sounds like your life is a little bit hectic right now, mine gets like that all the time lol :). What I do to help me relax when I feel I need it is this non prescription medicine called Absolute Calm. It just helps me relax and calm down, and its nothing relly strong like Xanax, just for normal every day stress. I think you should try it out, here’s a link:


http://getabsolutecalm.com/general/?utm_source=Google&utm_
medium=media&utm_content=General&utm_campaign=BlogCommenting

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you the name of the company, but it occurs to me that that would put Way Too Much Identifying Information Out On The Intraweb.

Next time we talk...

Anonymous said...

hope it goes well monday! i'm sure you'll do great!

Unknown on 11:43 PM said...

Hope your first day on the job went well!!! 4 days a week is not bad! almost as good as teachers hours....summers off baby!

susan opel on 5:11 PM said...

HEY! How is the new job going, Chemistry Girl?

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez