Friday, September 1, 2006

Pride has a color. And it's PLAID.



So, I got my check from Primedia a while back. I was pretty excited, because I wasn't expecting to get it until October. I got $50 for my page, "I Feel Pretty," that will be in the Nov/Oct issue of Simple Scrapbooks.

So, I turned around and bought something I've been wanting for a really long time. I finally got a sewing machine! I got the Janome Sew Mini, which was on sale from Hancock Fabrics (with free shipping, even!) I got it last week, and it's adorable. It's a tiny little sewing machine that only does straight stitch and zigzag, which is just perfect for someone inept like me.

The weird thing is, the daughgetr of a woman who can make three bridesmaid dresses in one night, doesn't know how to sew at all. I mean, I've never sewed anything. Fortunately, I've watched my mom make enough prom dresses that I at least understood the basics. And my little machine is very user friendly. I think what always scared me off in the
past was using the foot pedal - I don't know, inretrospect, why that was so intimidating to me. But I also didn't learn how to drive until I was out of high school.

Anyway, Matt's birthday is on Sunday, and I really wanted to make him something. So I went over to JoAnn and got a few yards of plaid flannel. I already had a pattern for pajama pants, and that's what I made him. As you can see. And I am inordinately proud of myself.

Hopefully, Matt won't notice how crooked the seams are, or how I made no attempt whatsoever at matching the plaid. He doesn't have to know that a 2-hour pattern took me three days, or that the first time I did the outside leg seams, I messed them up and turned them into M.C. Hammer pants. (Can't touch this.) It will probably escape his scrutiny that I did a lousy job cutting the pieces out, so the edges are all choppy. Or that I didn't want to deal with making the drawstring out of flannel, so I just bought some twill tape instead. If he's a smart man, Matt won't point out that since they lack pockets and a button fly, these pants are actually inferior to the adequate number of pajama pants he already owns.



But I made something! I've never made anything before (not counting the kids). I think I'll be able to live off the pride of that for a long time. Posted by Picasa

4 witty remarks on "Pride has a color. And it's PLAID."

Unknown on 8:42 PM said...

What a cute little sewing machine!

Not driving until out of high school? Hmmmm.

Good job on the pants! Yahooo!

Happy birthday to Matt!

Anonymous said...

Joni, you did a great job on the pants!!!!! I'm sure Matt will love them. What is the next project going to be? I think for me, I am going to go through some of my scraps and see if I have enough to make some tiered skirts for the girls for the fall.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so now I am singing an MC Hammer medley in my head - 2Legit!2Legit2Quit (visualize the appropriate hand motions!)

Hooray for Primedia! Nothing better than one of those checks in the mailbox!

Tricia M. on 2:20 PM said...

Double congrats! First on being published (will have to get a copy of the mag). Second - for completing a wearable outfit (my first sewing project was a pair of one-legged shorts!! OOPS). You have a pro as a consultant though...my prom dress is still wearable even after 15 years and 400 miles of moving! Great Job!!

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez