Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Well, Merry Christmas already!


So, we got out of work early today, because the roads were bad. The thinking behind that was, if you leave before rush hour, you'll be less likely to get in an accident, right? So I went slipping and sliding across the parking lot to my car, chiseled the ice off of it, and set out at a snail's pace for home. It wasn't even snowing, it was freezing rain, which is almost worse because you have no traction, and all the caution in the world won't help you when there is no traction. People all over were getting into accidents... which is exactly what I did, not five minutes after I left work. That's right, I got into a car accident two days before Christmas.

So, that was awesome.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. The other driver's car was still driveable (is that even a word? drive-able?) but mine wasn't, so it's sitting in a parking lot waiting for an available tow truck. Fortunately, my co-worker was taking a different route home from work so he drove by not two minutes after it happened (and he was driving a borrowed van instead of his usual sportscar - really, a series of fortuitous concidences) so he was able to help me get part of the way home. And lucky for me, the people at our insurance company are wonderful and manage to be uplifting and helpful even though they must be dealing with billions of car accidents right now. (Liberty Mutual. I highly recommend - every time we've dealt with them, they've been great.) And the lady who was watching my kids was very understanding about having to look after them for an extra three hours or so while I slowly made my way home. When I did talk to the police dispatcher later, I learned that there had been something like eight hundred car accidents in Indianapolis today, and that's not even counting the interstates. And I guess it's a little bonus that I won't be working tomorrow, which I was scheduled to but, um, didn't want to because it's Christmas Eve.

So. We need a new washing machine (the bearings are shot or something, so the drum comes loose and the spin cycle rattles like World War 3) but that's going to go ahead and wait until after the estimate comes in. And truly, I don't think it's going to be that bad, but then I thought that about the Taurus in 2004 and it turned out to be a total loss. Which is NOT REALLY what we need this year. Mainly, I just need it to hurry up and be 2009 already.

6 witty remarks on "Well, Merry Christmas already!"

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are okay...now on to celebrating with the family! Keep your spirits up..joyous holiday wishes to all! Missing you lots!!

alshoma: what Joni says when she walked in the door after her LONG day!

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Sorry.

Mrs. Brown can moo... on 10:25 PM said...

wow Joni...I'm soooo sorry! I had a feeling I should've called you today (but when I did, it was busy). I guess that explains why. You were tied up.

Hope things get better for you! I want to see some pictures of the girls in their dresses!!

CyndiAKADisneyqueen on 11:50 PM said...

Oh Joni I am sorry. Glad you are ok though. Marc did the exact same thing a few months ago. Unfortunetely our car was a total loss. Praying for a better outcome for you.

Unknown on 2:21 PM said...

I just so glad you are ok!!!!

Kristen on 11:52 AM said...

my goodness! what a day! I can't believe there were so many accidents. I hope you are able to get another car and get back on the road soon!

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez