Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Badum-pum-pum.


We went down to the Children's Museum today for their Christmas exhibit. Also, dinosaurs. We actually went last week but had to leave early because of a poop incident. (Note to self: keep spare diapers in the van at ALL times.) Since I don't have seminary this week (HOORAY) we decided we might as well just go again. The kids had a really good time and Porter helpfully pointed out all of the stop signs between here and 30th & Meridian.

In the car I discovered that one of the local high school radio stations was playing Christmas music all day. (There's actually another station that's been playing holiday music since October, but it's mostly the cheesy stuff that I can't stand. I haven't decided which is worse, "Do They Know It's Christmas" or "Wonderful Christmastime.") Anyway, they played the Muppets version of 12 Days of Christmas, which got the kids (okay, me) all excited. Now, it's not like I haven't listened to the album eleventy-jillion times since the day after Thanksgiving. But still, hearing it on the radio was like running into an old friend unexpectedly. And, it's always nice to know that there are other people who love that album too. The kids love trying to identify the Muppet voices and I like to wail along, "FIVE... GOOOO-OOOLD... RIIIIINGS!" And, don't ask me why "Badum-pum-pum" is legitimate song-writing while "Parum-pum-pum-pum" is not acceptable. (Yes, I have inherited my father's bias against 'The Little Drummer Boy.' Dad, can you explain in exactly seventeen syllables why that is a horrible song?)

When I'm not listening to the radio in the car, I play my CD of the Messiah. Porter really likes the 'ayayooya' part.

I'm still baking cookies like a madwoman. Someone on an NCIS site posted the recipe for those cookies Laura Nielsen always made - the ones with the stripe of jam down the middle. I picked up some raspberry jam today (seedless, because that's the only way Matt will eat it; I prefer it with seeds) and I'm going to make some tonight, hopefully. I also made spinach dip today for Matt's work party and I started truffles, although I probably won't finish those until tomorrow. There's a lot of chilling involved, which is probably a metaphor for something.

I'm having issues with my maternity pants lately. I don't like the ones with the old-school belly pocket in the front, because my shirts aren't long enough to cover it and I think visible belly pouch is a huge faux pas. But, the ones with the elastic all the way around the waist keep falling off my hips (what, they aren't BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD UP MY PANTS??!!) and I'm always hiking them up. I'm starting to feel like Matt Foley. And I wanna live in a van down by the river.

9 witty remarks on "Badum-pum-pum."

Anonymous said...

An exhausted woman
Who just gave birth in stable
Won't want to hear drums.

Catherine on 2:40 AM said...

No epidural,
My fiance's no midwife
and these goats smell gross.

Now you bang a drum
loudly in my ear; I'll show you
parum-pum-pum pum.

Okay, so maybe traditional haiku don't have multiple stanzas; but then, traditional haiku are in Japanese, so I'm no wronger than Dad.

My word verification:
fknvpox, shorthand for Freakin' V-Pox, a deadly strain of Hugo Weaving.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with cheezy Christmapop? Why, that's the single thing I miss most about my career in retail. Other than every single other thing, including the angry phone calls from creditors and this one boss who made my blood turn to ice. But seriously, I used to think that there would be snow in Africa this Christmas. And it never occurred to me to be thankful that millions of Ethiopian children were starving, instead of me. So it's festive AND educational.

Parum-pa-pum-pum. On my drum.

hisftt: a Christian technopunk group.

Kevin Blinn on 7:04 PM said...

Any real haiku
has seventeen syllables
this one doesn't.

oqfyxkk: an over-the-counter acne medication.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I goofed on the first line. That's what I get for posting at 2 AM after a long night at the M2J.

While the Christmas muzak at same does not include the drummer boy, it also doesn't include anything that references Jesus in any way. To hear the songs they pick (which I do...over and over), this holiday is entirely about picturesque winter weather, romantic love and greed. Lots and lots of greed. Almost makes me miss parum pa pum pum. Almost.

Anonymous said...

do i forfeit my membership to the family if i admit i like parum-pum-pum-pum?

in the drummer boy's defence, it was at least 3 months after Mary gave birth before those wacky wise men showed up with musical accompaniment. by that time baby Jesus was probably sleeping through the night. he was the son of god afterall.

pfgvxp = a vowel-less percussion instrument

Anonymous said...

Little drummer boy
Was an apprentice shepherd,
Not an Asian king.

But you don't have to forfeit your family membership, Hoosiermama. Cindy likes the song, too. Her official position is that I am the grinch.

Is the son of jdhoosiermama sleeping through the night at three months? I guess I'll find out shortly...

cbcimnmh: I'm listening to Canadian radio In My New Motor Home.

Anonymous said...

Yes hoosiermama, I do like that song, and the old guy IS a grinch. I also like Silver Bells.

Joni on 10:29 PM said...

Well, it's my blog, and I've decided that hoosiermama's explanation is acceptable if only because, in true Blinn fashion, she's backed it up with an obscure historical point.

You would have gotten bonus points, by the way, if you would have begun it with "Technically..."

I hate 'Silver Bells.'

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez