Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy Pink Day!


Did you know there's an entire holiday just for the color pink? I didn't either, but the editors at Paper Crafts say there is, so it must be so. (I know they wouldn't lie about something as important as colors; right, Susan?) I've always said that my favorite color is blue, but I've really been drawn to pink lately, especially since I'm such a girly-girl. And with two daughters in the house, I don't have to look very far to find pink things.

(The pink aisle in the toy department is like some kind of Mecca to Betsy!)

Fashion-wise, I have become a big fan lately of the pairing of pink and black. I found this blouse a few weeks ago at Goodwill and I'm wearing it today with black capris.

Here's one of the aprons I picked up at a church sale last weekend (for a whole dollar!) I just love the rickrack trim on the pockets, don't you? When it comes to papercrafting I have a plethora of pink products. One of my all-time favorite paper lines is Cosmo Cricket's Honey Pie, which is very pink-heavy. (I finally caved and bought the whole paper kit, although of course I waited until it was 50% off at Hobby Lobby.)


Hot pink works great as an accent for black and white (this is the card I made for Rob and Laura's wedding - the damask print is just a scrap of the wrapping paper I used on their gift):
I'm also really fond of pairing pink with my new favorite neutral, chocolate brown.


I think pink even works well as a Christmas color when it's matched up with some aqua blue and evergreen.

In the world of sewing, I pretty much can't avoid pink. (Like I would want to!) My most recent project was the vintage dress I mentioned in my last post. I went fabric shopping at JoAnn's with something completely else in mind, and came away with this gorgeous, cherry-blossom-pink poplin. I love how the dress turned out, and I'd wear it every day if I could.


When I first put it on I wore it with a white belt but Matt said I looked like a waitress! So I went down to Goodwill and picked up a black one for 25 cents. I used my Crop-a-Dile, a really handy scrapbooking tool (which incidentally has pink handles), to punch some extra holes for the buckle - worked like a charm.


There's also pinking, which is to say, trimming the seam allowances with pinking shears so that they won't ravel. I've always been pretty diligent about seam finishing, even though it doesn't show from the outside. Only I won't be needing to do that any more now that I have a serger! Hooray! Instead, how about some vintage pink buttons (courtesy of Goodwill, and there's lots more where that came from):

What's more, a length of bright pink silk dupioni that I recently purchased off of Fabric.com (I couldn't help it; they were having a really good sale) is currently sitting in my fabric stash. To be made into some future project (I actually have the pattern in mind already but nowhere to wear it) or at least blogged about.
So, what do you think of pink?


Edited to add a late-breaking Pink Day find! Mom, you are seriously going to die. I found this at the new (and I mean BRAND new) Goodwill store up here:


Vintage. Pink. Crinoline. Petticoat. Pretty much the awesomest thing ever (although I say that about everything I buy at Goodwill, so take it at face value). It's miles too big for me in the waist, so I will have to do something about that (possibly take apart the side seams, although it may just need new elastic at the waist) and I don't technically have any dresses that need a crinoline underneath (at least not yet) (at least not a HOT PINK one) but for four dollars, how could I possibly pass it up? Happy National Pink Day, indeed!

4 witty remarks on "Happy Pink Day!"

mom said...

I like pink ok, but I really like wearing it.

Joni on 2:02 PM said...

Yeah, and who talked you into that awesome pink fabric for your mother-of-the-groom dress? (The lady from Hancock's and) Me, of course!

Laura M on 5:12 PM said...

I LOVE PINK! And I loved your card! And I think you need to find someone that can take your picture for you! (so you don't have to do those mirror shots). Betsy's getting close to tall enough....well at least she is getting almost as tall as me....but I guess thats not really saying much!

mom said...

Oh, and btw, I LOVE the apron.

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez