Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nothing to cry over.


We had a pretty fun, relaxed Fourth of July... saw the parade and never did get around to going downtown to see the fireworks. A lot of our neighbors were shooting off pyrotechnics of their own so we had a 360-degree view, and our next-door neighbors had sparklers which they shared with our kids (and we passed around a box of popsicles, later, so it all works out.) And then on Sunday I broke out in HIVES, which was weird because I'm not really allergic to anything, but I Could. Not. Stop. Itching. I took Benadryl which provided relief only in the sense that I took a pretty hearty nap while Matt and the kids were at church. I finally got some real, actual medical advice and they told me to take Zyrtec - only problem with that is that it's a Category B drug, meaning you shouldn't take it while pregnant/nursing unless you really have to. So I've pump-and-dumped the last few days, but the itching (oh, and my eyes were all swelled up - I looked really funny) is all gone so I don't have to do that any more. It's not inconvenient to dump milk down the sink but it is sort of hard, emotionally.

I never did figure out what triggered the reaction - the doctor told me that most of the time, you never know. I do know for sure that I am not allergic to non-adorable, slender babies who can't roll from their backs to their tummies. Because we certainly don't have any of THOSE around here.

7 witty remarks on "Nothing to cry over."

Anonymous said...

Nothing says 'fun and relaxing holiday' like neighbors who set things ablaze in exchange for popsicles. Next year, see what they'll do for a case of Flav*R*Ice.

Be sure to explain to Amelia Bedilia that you got hives because she can't roll all the way over. "You see what you've done to me? I give, and I give, and I give . . ." She'll appreciate that.

Hives notwithstanding, how are the new jobs working out?

Unknown on 9:23 AM said...

Zyrtec can be a lifesaver....I have to take it before I get my allergy shots every week now, to prevent, oh, just my throat from closing on me.

Catherine on 12:13 AM said...

Joni, I just had a dream where I cam on this pilgrimage to see you (more specifically, Pie), only I was dressed immodestly and you wouldn't let me see her. It was a sleeveless dress or something. Then you did let me see her but I felt ashamed and didn't want to degrade her with my upper arms, so I went back home.

It was...surprisingly hilarious.

Catherine on 12:16 AM said...

Also,

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/071108/babydenturez.gif

Anonymous said...

I had one of those episodes once. Went to lunch, then shopping, and in the middle of the Target stop, started itching all over my face. I swelled and turned completely crimson, and it had nothing to do with my embarrassment level.

Apparently it was something a shrimp ate, who later ended up in my lunch. How do you cross-examine a shrimp about his eating habits before you consume him in your shrimp alfredo? I still have not figured that out.

Anonymous said...

But joni, you must remember that, as claritan says, zyrtec may cause drowsiness.

Unknown on 11:21 PM said...

I feel very significant now. I have finally made an impact in the blogging world.....you actually have a link from your blog to mine now!

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez