Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The happenings around here


School is almost out, so I had better get a blog post up before summer hits and I spend all my days driving my kids around. Why did nobody tell me before I had school aged kids that planning out their summers is practically a full time job? It's not that I think they are overscheduled, it's just that with a different thing going on every week, I have to figure when to fit everything in and still have some time to play and go to the pool and whatnot. I think it'll be fun, but I know I will be relieved when it is over.

Anyway. Here's what is going on around here.

  • Garage sale season is in full swing. After several disappointing outings, I found some really good stuff last weekend.
  • After driving past it on the way to church every Sunday for nearly four years, we finally got a membership to our local living history museum. We actually got a coupon in the mail for free balloon tickets with purchase of a membership, only by the time we got there the wind had kicked up & they cancelled the ride. But they gave us rain checks so I guess we will have to go back another time!
  • I'm keeping really busy (but having fun) making stuff for my Etsy.
  • I've been kind of obsessed with The Dodos lately, especially this song.
  • Speaking of obsessed, Amy gets really mad if we don't let her wear a dress. She is all about the baby dolls lately, but they have to be naked. She's also figured out how to jump, which is really funny since she barely clears the ground.
  • Betsy keeps telling me she is going to be an author when she grows up. She loves to write little stories and then illustrate them. She is really loving first grade (they hatched baby chicks!) and she's been doing well with her spelling. Betsy is all about compound words right now. Sometimes I have a hard time explaining to her when a word isn't.
  • And Porter is almost done with preschool. I took him to the kindergarten orientation at his school last week... I needn't have bothered, he already knows his way around the building and has been riding a bus for the last two years. I think he's really ready, since he's already reading and everything. Plus, in kindergarten they do a unit about dinosaurs.
  • Oh yeah, we booked our next vacation to Disneyworld. We'll be going at the end of October when the kids are on fall break. Woo hoo! By then it will have been more than three years since our last visit, which I think is a decent interval. The kids are getting hyped up for it already.
  • Betsy's dance recital is this Saturday. Be watching this space, I'll post video. She likes to put on her costume (it's purple) and practice the dance, so I can verify that it is, in fact, wicked adorable.

4 witty remarks on "The happenings around here"

Molly said...

Gee, you went to a garage sale? Soooo unlike you. And you say the Betsy's costume is PURPLE? My goodness. i bet she is going to look radder that a monkey on a cheesecake.
So im thinking that when porter is in first grade, he will be breezing through Algebra,saying "Ha, Losers." You have your work cut out for you.

fatty mcslowslow said...

Porter's first school day:
"Have the child point to the square,"
He reads, upside down.

Joni on 9:02 PM said...

Yep, except that unlike Mike, Porter wouldn't be reading the paper upside down (as in, across the table)... Porter *himself* would be upside down.

MMMMoooollllyyy said...

Joni, I was at Hobby Lobby with Laura, and I saw something so awesome you would cry. Well a lot of things, actually. One was: WARNING. WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. A zebra striped apron. And a pink plaque with green polka dots and the words CUTIE PIE. What I ended up spending 11.80 on(It was first 22.00, But it was half off...YAY!!!):A jewelry holder. It is a mannequin(Armless and headless of course.) In a blue satin dress. You are green now.

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez