Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Candy Hangover


Yeah, we have A LOT of candy in the house. Fortunately, I've been doing my best to remedy that situation, as you knew I would. The kids basically got to do Halloween twice: Ward Trunk-or-Treat on Friday (And I've been wondering, is that an Indiana thing or a Mormon thing? Because I'd never heard of it until a few years ago) and the neighborhood parade on Saturday. It was a little bit cold, but the kids' costumes were warm enough, or at least I didn't hear any complaining. Betsy had the fewest layers on, but she's also the one posessed of the most intestinal fortitude (at least when candy is involved), so she wouldn't even dream of putting a jacket on over her costume.

Just to rehash: Betsy was Glinda (sewed by yours truly); Porter was Buzz Lightyear (re-used from last year, although I think this is his last time wearing it); and Amy was a zebra (a costume which has been in use in our family almost continuously since 2004). I didn't even bother trying to get a photo of all three of them together; if you've been reading this blog, you know why. But I did get some adorable pictures of each kid individually. I guess when I scrapbook, I'll just overlap them.





I think that the best part of Halloween, as far as my kids were concerned, is that their Grandma and Grandpa were here to enjoy it! Matt's parents flew out for a quick three-day visit while the kids were on fall break. Betsy had a blast doing shrink art with Grandma (she kept referring to it as 'snark art' which I find irrationally hilarious); Porter duly impressed everyone with his reading skills; and Amy made a point of being especially adorable and fetching. Grandma insisted on taking them down to Target and buying them each a small toy. (Sadly, my kids don't have anywhere near enough toys!) Betsy got a My Little Pony (I later found out that she chose Star Song mainly because the neighbor girl already has that one and she didn't); Porter chose a Lego fire chief car (to go along with the fire truck he'll be getting for Christmas), and Amy got a baby doll that can go in the bath. She couldn't wait until it was out of the package, and was hugging the bath. Girlie has definitely hit the baby doll stage in a big way.
Now, of course, I'm ready for it to be Christmas. It's not that I don't enjoy Thanksgiving. Any holiday when we get to enjoy three or four kinds of pies in one day is the kind of thing I can really get into. What's more, my parents and sisters are making the trek out from New York for T-Day. But nothing can really compare to the Christmas season! We're having our family picture taken on Friday (there's a guy at Matt's work that does them for free) so I sewed myself a fluffy skirt out of this cool retro poinsettia fabric I got a couple of years ago.

This week, I'm scrapbooking, and making some cards for some submission calls (I don't think I mentioned, I had one picked up by Cards magazine last month - it'll be my first time in that mag., so I'm thrilled) and today I'm probably going to Hancock's for some really awesome fabric of which I will shortly post pictures. Oh, and maybe I should at least think about taking the Halloween decorations down.

6 witty remarks on "Candy Hangover"

Cathy on 10:27 AM said...

Was Amy being fetching, or playing Go Fetch? Either way your intent, they all were adorable for Halloween! As for Trunk or Treats, I think it's a recent development, I'd never heard of it until a couple years ago, and I was raised here.

celeste'sblog on 3:28 PM said...

Trunk or treat is TOTALLY a Mormon thing. I grew up with it, and every one I've ever talked to (and yes, that includes people outside of Utah and Idaho) have done it. I've never heard of anyone outside the church doing it. Kevin and I participated this year with our ward. We decorated the back of the car with a black blanket. We're so special.

Anonymous said...

I concur with Cici - I have seen Trunk-or-Treat in wards in California and Virginia, but not outside the church. (The youngins in our ward were suitably adorable, some of them even saying "trunk or treat" the second or third time they passed by our trunk hoping we had forgotten about them already).

SlyGly on 1:51 PM said...

I am really impressed by the Glinda crown.

Halloween Costume on 3:21 PM said...

The zebra costume is so cute! Love the pictures.

Fatty McSlowslow said...

Betsy the Good Witch:
Are those sparklies on her cheeks?
Such a cute Glinda.

Porter: Buzz Lightyear.
Infinity and beyond,
One last October.

Amy the Zebra
Isn't going anywhere
Without the binky.

 

Embellish Life Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez